30 April 2002

Alright, so I was out of town and couldn't defend myself against attacks on my reading habits. Sue me. Yes I subscribe to the Economist because it talks about Gens. Chavez and Musharraf and the like... though the articles about economics are good too -- including the article Noah posted about why he has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to height and my favorite, the deadweight loss of Santa Claus. (Unfortunately I can't link to it because the Economist has a paying website, yet another reason to subscribe).

Anyway, I thought they might have something to say about the college squirrel rankings that Alec posted a couple of days ago. One of the main criteria for the rankings was the willingness of the squirrels to accept food from strangers. Now, I'm no biology expert, but I think a campus where all the squirrels are fat and unfit from people feeding them is not the best place for squirrels. I bet the Economist would agree with my logic. As for Harvard's ranking, I can't say that I see many people ever feeding the squirrels; mostly tourists chase them to take cute pictures. Harvard's squirrels might be faster as a result, but I don't think Harvard's squirrel rating (as determined on the squirrel website) would adequately reflect that.

Alright, I've said the word squirrel enough times for it to sound really weird to me too.

No comments: