24 April 2002

Noah's Answer:

I suddenly realized the other week while reading an old email that i had memorized a poem and completely forgotten that i had. Fortunately the moment i remembered I also remembered the whole poem, its funny the way memory works like that, all you need is the key. Anyway, sophomore year i had written a poem which i left up on my desktop and realized that if i left something on my desktop i'd soon memorize it with no effort, so i tried with a poem i was particularly fond of:

--Insomnia
by Elizabeth Bishop (via my memory, which is not infaliable)

The moon in the beaureau window looks off a million miles
and perhaps with pride at herself though she never never smiles
on beyond sleep or perhaps she's a daytime sleeper
by the universe deserted, she'd tell it to go to hell
and find a mirror or a body of water on which to dwell

So wrap up time in a cobweb and drop it down a well
into that world inverted, where left is always right,
where the shadows are always the bodies,
where we stay awake all night,
where the sky is as shallow as the sea
is now deep, and you love me.

No comments: