02 July 2002

Just wanted to say a brief hello from New York. I'm currently in the computer room of the New York Public Library's Science and Industry branch on 33rd and Madison, which is where I've been accessing the Internet these days. (You need to sign up for a one-hour time slot, and usually it's a pretty long wait.) My routine this week has been rather fixed: get up around 10, get the breakfast special at Zorba's, take the subway to Union Square and look at magazines in the big Barnes and Noble there for a few hours. Then, after I've gotten the names of the human resources directors for various publications, I walk twenty blocks to the library to work on my cover letters, do research online, and basically read job hunting books and fret. Tomorrow I think I'll finally print out twelve or so resumes and send 'em out. It's not a bad life: basically I'm doing all the legwork now, so I can relax for the July 4th weekend and beyond. But because my bank account doesn't activate for another 10 days, I've got exactly $200 dollars in cash to live on between now and July 17th. Which means I can't buy a bed. Haiwen has suggested that I get a $10 air mattress for the interim. Maybe he's right....

Anyway, it's been a weird couple of days. My life is definitely undergoing a sea change....

No comments: