18 August 2002

Back to paternal nullification...

Someone agrees with me. Best quote:

I will say that this guy is absolutely wrong about not proof-reading his entries or using a spell-checker, but as for substance, I think he's spot on.

Gulity as charged... (where's those irony tags?)

Its a combination of two things, the fact that I could never write without lots of errors anyway, and the fact that I've gotten so used to a spellchecker and blogger non-pro doesn't have one... Anyway, as a math graduate student I feel that not being able to spell or type without numerous typos represents in this medium the necessary absentmindedness needed to play this part. (Speaking of playing the part of a math graduate student, the other evening I was playing Go in a cofee shop...) I guess I don't take my blogging seriously enough to run it through a spellchecker... When we come down to it, I guess its just laziness.

But I'm glad to see someone agrees with the substance. Someone else still doesn't. I'd like to respond to one of the points made in that post:

We don't make sperm donors pay because there was a prior agreement not to. And frankly, there's not much difference between procreative and non-procreative sex. Intentions are difficult to determine, and accidents do happen. Bright line rules work best.

I worry about heading in this direction. Alec, if you ever write a futuristic dystopia screenplay (I think this is probably more of a when than an if), include the following idea. Before sex people a character pulls out a stack of forms saying the following:

I (name of sexual partner) being of right mind, free from the influence of drugs or alcohol, and under no coercion agree to engage in sexual relations including intercourse with (name) on (date) between the hours of (hour) and (hour). I certify that to the best of my knowledge I carry no sexually transmitted diseases and I have been tested within the past (number) months for such diseases. I acknowledge that the purpose of this intercourse is solely for pleasure and in the case of birth control failure I release (name) from any obligation to raise or financially care for any child which results from this intercourse.
(signed)

Possibly with some more clauses: be creative.

I first had this idea when I was thinking about the issue of sex with someone under the influence of alcohol being considered rape by Harvard. This is even true if one plans on having sex anyway without getting drunk, in which case its clearly not coercive. Solution? Simply sign a contract consenting before getting drunk.

Somehow I really hope this isn't a road we go down as a society. However, would such a contract satisfy Win Fitzpatrick?

(Both of these posts via comments on Matt's page.)

No comments: