10 September 2002

I ran accross this post of Jane Galt's which had the following quote:

It's an odd truth known among grammar school teachers that you can't get little boys to read books about little girls, not even well-brought up little boys with feminist moms. They'll sit still while the teacher reads A Little Princess out loud, but they aren't interested in childhood classics like "Little House on the Prairie" or "Anne of Green Gables", even though those books surpass the inferior, boy-centered ones they choose by almost any measure. And this dichotomy holds throughout life: women read books, watch movies, etc. that are aimed at women, but not the other way around. And it is easily possible to segment one's audience to be comprised of either all women, or mostly men, by the subject matter you choose.


Now i must say that i really enjoyed the "Anne of Green Gables" series quite a bit. I guess i was in 9th grade so I wouldn't count as a little boy, but still, the above observation doesn't seem true to me. I also liked "little house" when i was younger, although not as much. Does this make me really that unusually for a boy? Or is it just that I read Anne old enough to develop a minor crush on her?

No comments: