21 January 2003

Anyway, here's the song that is "guaranteed to make my spine tingle":

"Get the Message" by Electronic

It's one of the most emotionally inscrutable singles ever released: the vocals are subdued, the words have something to do with the breakdown of a love affair based on money and befuddled infatuation, but they're fused to a crisp, joyous guitar line that makes it all but impossible to pin down how the song is actually supposed to make you feel...which is probably why I've never tired of it, even after listening to it for so many years. As opaque as it is, it's still one of those songs that I've managed to associate with just about every girl I've ever cared about, and it's appeared on more mix tapes than I care to remember, always as the last or penultimate song on a side.

So who's next?

No comments: