24 January 2003

I have to agree with Alec on the tingliness of The River, however for me the moments are before that and after that, the transition "I act like I don't remember, Mary acts like she don't care... but i remember us driving..." and the line immediately after the one you picked: "is it a dream of life that don't come true or is it something worse that sends me down to the river although I know the river is dry." That's the real moment of despair to me "although I know the river is dry." But anyway that's one of the most powerful verses in pop music ever.

Another rediculous tingly moment in music for me is the moment in U2's "wild horses" where it goes from "don't turn around... and don't look back... come on now love, don't you look back... [pause, try to look away, turn back and turn to salt with:] but who's gonna ride your wild horses? who's gonna drown in your blue sea? who's gonna taste your salt water kisses? and who's gonna take the place of me?"

And while we're at it, the slow version of REM's "South Central Rain" where it says "go buy yourself another dream, this choice it wasn't mine... I'm sorry..." Oh, and "out in the distance her order was heard and the soldier was killed still waiting for her word" in "The Queen and the Soldier"

The more of a story the song has it seems the better it is for tingly moments, although that's not so true for the tingliness of the song as a whole.

No comments: