15 February 2003

I'm reading Great Expectations again, and its been a long time since I've read Dickens and I'd nearly forgotten how delightfully fun he is. One of the great things about novels written in installments (besides their being really long so you don't have to worry about them ending before you want them to) is that each chapter ends with something nice to keep you coming back. Latest example:
That was a memorable day to me, for it made great changes in me. But, it is the same with any life. Imagine one selected day struck out of it, and think how different its course would have been. Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, or thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day.

No comments: