19 February 2003

Two brief responses about 25th hour. So, X-Men 2 is coming out soon, and I'm realizing yet again the way movie franchise make you compare times in your life. Since I did have a date as hoped for Star Wars episode II, I can't complain too much about this. But anyway what does this have to do with 25th hour? Well Anna Pacquin will always make me think of that film, and although I'm not posting it online, anyone who knows the circumstances of my seeing X-Men and has seen 25th Hour will understand why that whole subplot was somewhat disconcerting.

On a less Noah note, I've been trying for the past week to put together this political subtext which seems to be lurking around the edges of 25th Hour but which I can't yet put into a well thought out paragraph. One of the big themes of the film is: "you didn't tell him to stop being a drug dealer when he was paying for you, now you have to reep the blame for this." I wonder how this fits in with September 11th. I don't want to draw too close a parallel, but there does seem to be a "You weren't complaining when you were reaping the benefits of such-and-such which lead to this." But I can't quite put my finger on what...

No comments: