24 March 2003

So, as I usually do when I haven't eaten until 2:30 or 3ish (its spring break) or when we're low on food (which we also are now) I went to the "Au Couquelette Cafe" on the corner (which doubles as the coffee shop where I met the famous Sarah Hatter). So as I was waiting in line to buy my usual (Mexican Scramble, with corn tortillas, not bread) the person in front of me was talking to one of the waitresses who he is apparently friends with (and I have somewhat of a crush on, but anyway...) and she was talking about how she was stressed and moving or something and the friend asked her if she were moving cause of her boyfriend or something to that effect to which she responded that "yes, but not why you think" and showed off a few rather large bruises on her side and the inside of her arm. Anyway she seemed ok and explained that she wasn't one of the "oh but he loves me... battered women" and that she made it clear if he could never touch her again and that her bruises would heal but he'd have to live with having done it forever... And she seemed fine and having moved on, but it still was one of these really weird "merp, that happens to real people" sort of moments... I mean, you know there are bad people out there who do things like beat up their girlfriend, but I hadn't ever really come accross it before.

No comments: