10 March 2003

So I was reading this ESPN article on the most shocking moments in basketball history. Number one was Magic Johnson's announcement that he was retiring because he had HIV. The writer says: "People were saying they'd remember forever where they were when they heard the news. Just like people did when they heard about JFK." And I realized I do remember the moment when I heard this news. I was playing hockey that year and for some reason I went to this shop in Lancaster to buy some equipment (maybe I was shopping for rollerblades for the summer, which I ended up not getting? I dunno, it wasn't the place I got my skates), and it was on the radio in the shop. There aren't many national events I remember this way, and this was one of them.

I guess hearing the Bill Berry left REM doesn't count as one of these events, although I do remember that too.

No comments: