17 March 2003

You'll probably hate me for posting this, but oh well: MSN has an amusing article on the songs that get stuck in your head. According to a survey taken at the University of Cincinnati, the worst offenders include:

1. Other
2. The Chili's "Baby Back Ribs" jingle
3. "Who Let the Dogs Out" by the Baha Men
4. "We Will Rock You" by Queen
5. The Kit-Kat candy-bar jingle
6. The Mission Impossible theme
7. "YMCA" by the Village People
8. "Whoomp, There It Is" by Tag Team
9. "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens
10. "It's a Small World After All"

Oddly enough, as I read this article, I realized that the song from The Cat in the Hat had been stuck in my head ever since I woke up this morning. (This is the song that begins "Cat...hat! In French, chat, chapeau...!" As an aside, I'm quite pleased that Mike Myers has been cast as the Cat in the upcoming movie, because I can imagine him doing a wonderfully arch version of this song.)

Anyway, here's a question for you all: what's the song that you'll use to dislodge one of the above? It's got to be catchy enough to take the place of whatever song has been driving you crazy, but not annoying enough so that the cure is worse than the disease....These days, I find that "Wonderwall" by Oasis fits the bill nicely. In fact, I'm playing it now, just to keep that damned baby back ribs song at bay....

No comments: