10 April 2003

Every once in a while I start thinking about a character and it suddenly becomes clear to me something i didn't understand about a lot of people. Reading the Catcher in the Rye was like this because I suddenly realized many people i knew were largely unable to distinguish between the particular and the universal. On one page Holden says "I always [such and such]" and the next page "I always [the complete opposite]," and I'd just never realized before the way so many people think that way.

Anyway I think a line from the last 5 years may have a similar affect. I've always been a big fan of honesty and openness and intimacy, and always had the image of a great relationship being something where you share everything, but there's this moment in "Nobody Needs to Know" which really well captures the heart of the opposite view, which I'd never thought of before:

"All that I ask for
Is one little corner-
One private room at the back of my heart.
Tell her I found one,
She sends out battalions
To claim it and blow it apart"

No comments: