06 April 2003

For one of the books for the 20th century novel class i took senior year (with Natalie Portman) the teacher kept talking about how there was this strange "and" structure that appeared everywhere. I'm pretty sure it was Dreiser's Sister Carrie, Bessie, please correct me if I'm misremembering. But the idea was that rather than putting ideas together with a judgement or explanation (a "but" or a "hence") he'd simply juxtupose them with no judgement or explanation implied. And the prof. gave all these long examples of two things where you weren't sure what the relation between them was liked with an and. Anyway, I was going to take down my post from friday night but i decided instead i'd just say: "she was definitely pretty interested in me and she has a boyfriend," and "i'm annoyed and i'm going to call her tommorow." If you want more details you can ask me.

No comments: