28 April 2003

So I saw this play yesterday which was a bunch of scenes taking place in different families around the dining room table. Loosely they were supposed to all represent the decline of WASP civilisation or something like that. At any rate, in one of the scenes a grown daughter is explaining to her father why she wants to move back in to his house (along with her kids) because she's leaving her husband. He doesn't want her to give up on her marriage, and she's trying to tell him why its all such a mess. She explains how he's now living with someone else, and she was involved with someone else, and no it wasn't a man, and she's just very confused, etc. At some point the father says: "Let's review the bidding." I lost it... So i'm a nerd who plays bridge, I think this phrase fits perfectly into a very confusing personal conversation.

Speaking of weird card playing analogies... My euphemism of the week (what people it's refering to or who's saying it or any of the details i'm not posting on the web, but several of you can probably guess): "I was dealt a losing hand, but I played it as well as I could, and at least I managed to split the pot."

No comments: