12 July 2003

Here are some more of my personal nominations for the Most Beautiful Girl in the World. (The reason I didn't post more extensively earlier is that my only Internet access these days is at work, and somehow it seemed, well, sketchy to be scrolling through picture after picture of these beautiful girls at my desk when I was supposed to be assisting in the flow of revenue....)

There's Virginie Ledoyen, of course. I only wish that I could find the picture of her I had posted on my wall senior year....It was a photo of her lying on a wooden floor, which seemed like the most unabashedly carnal, and impractical, pose imaginable. (I liked Nat's reading of it: "She's just looking for cracks in the ceiling.")

Years ago I decided that I'd rather spend my time looking at Kate Winslet than just about any other actress in the world. That's still pretty true. A possible second contender with a similar look is Madchen Amick, who used to star on Twin Peaks and was easily the most beautiful woman in that cast (no small feat, given the competition). I don't know if any of you see the resemblance, but she reminds me of a certain friend of mine from Harvard...

Back in Wong Kar-Wai territory, there's Michelle Reis, who wore her hair over her eyes in Fallen Angels (which I don't think I ever watched with any of you). And while browsing online, I was suddenly reminded of Xun Zhou, who played the mermaid in Souzhou River. She had that wonderful scene where she gets dressed in the morning before going to work.

Oh, and there's also Naomi Watts, who's just great, even when she isn't appearing in unexpected lesbian scenes.

No comments: