14 November 2003

I know I'm late with this, but I guess I've got to post the recent Ten Worst Films of All Time poll by the BBC's Film 2003. Here's the list:

1. Titanic
2. A.I.: Artificial Intelligence
3. Pearl Harbor
4. Vanilla Sky
5. The Blair Witch Project
6. Batman and Robin
7. The Avengers
8. Battlefield Earth
9. Eyes Wide Shut
10. Highlander II: The Quickening

No surprises here: Titanic, a great example of how quickly success can turn against you, along with some notorious bombs and a handful of challenging, sometimes brilliant movies that wrought havoc on the audience's expectations. (I'm surprised that Punch-Drunk Love didn't make the cut.) Incidentally, one of their quotes about Eyes Wide Shut is a direct quotation of what I heard in the audience on the movie's opening night, on the second of the four times I saw that movie in the theater: "What the hell was that all about?"

No comments: