28 December 2003

It's always helpful when the media reveals that you're a member of a cultural subgroup that you weren't aware existed. And if what a recent Times article says is true, I don't mind being a member of Generation E.A. "E.A." stands for "Ethnically Ambiguous," of course, and apparently it's quite chic these days. I feel like quoting the entire article, but I'll try to restrict myself to a few snippets:
On a recent evening Pedro Freyre, 26, an artist of French, Mexican and Spanish heritage, was strolling [in New York] with his cap tilted to accentuate his cheekbones. "We are the new mix," Mr. Freyre said, borrowing the language of the D.J. booth. "We are the remix."

Mr. Jimenez, [a] model, said that being perceived as a racial hybrid "has definitely opened doors for me." He added, "suddenly there is a demand for my kind of face."

Ahmed Akkad, 44, a New York artist who is Turkish and Albanian, said that being an ethnic composite "sometimes gives you an edge, a certain sexual appeal."

But some multiracial 20-somethings view their waxing popularity with skepticism. "Back home in Minneapolis, I sometimes feel like a trophy," said Ryoji Suguro, a 28-year-old lighting director of Sri Lankan and Japanese descent. "When you're introduced, it's sometimes like, 'Oh, here is my exotic friend.'"
All right, guys, 'fess up. Am I just your exotic friend? I mean, it's not like I haven't noticed the trend towards multiracial, especially Eurasian faces in the media: three enormous billboards on the street where I work all feature models with distinctly Eurasian features. As a guy quoted in this article says, "Today what's ethnically neutral, diverse or ambiguous has tremendous appeal."

So not only am I a bourgeois bohemian member of the American meritocracy with Ivy League credentials, I'm also ethnically ambiguous and a walking example of "melting pot chic." So why don't I have a girlfriend? (Maybe it's time I bought a hat to accentuate my cheekbones....)

No comments: