06 January 2004

The one-page anthology comic strip is a format that I've admired for a long time. Carol Lay's long-running "Story Minute" is probably my favorite modern-day example, but Maria Schneider's "Pathetic Geek Stories," now moving to its own web page after an honorable run at the Onion, is even more addictive. Reading a whole archive of "PGS" in one sitting is a rather amazing experience, painful and fascinating. I've done well enough in life so that I can look back on my own teenage years with some measure of precious irony, but still....I recently told a friend that I'd happily relive any one of the years of my life, except the ones where I had to take gym classes. This pretty much wipes out most of middle school and high school, and suggests that I still have some unresolved issues on this point. Schneider helpfully brings it all back.

Her FAQ is also worth a read.

No comments: