02 January 2004

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I'll confess that I was fitfully bored throughout the Anglo-Afghan refugee movie In This World, which at least one critic called the best British movie of his lifetime. (I couldn't get past its reserved, documentary style. I guess I was hoping for melodrama.) I also spent most of the much-hyped Russian Ark daydreaming about anything except what was on the screen.

I also never saw Irreversible, which I'm guessing wouldn't have bored me, and which also might have ended up heading either my Best or my Worst List. It's on DVD now, so I guess we'll have to find out sometime.

It's funny how fine the line can be between the movies I love and the movies I hate (or at least the ones that disappoint me). Where do you draw the line between Kill Bill and Charlie's Angels? Between One From The Heart and Moulin Rouge? Between Gangs of New York and Heaven's Gate? The movies I can't stand, and the ones I forget, are the ones that leave me indifferent. I dislike Fight Club for all kinds of reasons, but at least I've never forgotten it.

No comments: