19 February 2004

Just returned from a lovely evening in San Francisco with a gaggle of Cambridge alumni. I had choir rehearsal, so I arrived at the reception an hour late, right in the middle of the Vice-Chancellor's address. She sounded some familiar themes (the endowment must grow, fees must go up, there will be need-blind admission and need-based financial aid), and the people I talked to aftertward said things to the effect of "she's a smart cookie" and generally expressed confidence in the direction Cambridge is headed (sentiments which I share). As she was being ushered to a dinner at the British Consulate she stopped for a quick hug and "Things-are-well-with-you? / Yes-things-are-well-with-you? / Yes" and I got to bask in the glow of celebrity for a brief instant.

Afterwards I joined nine other Emmanuel alumni for dinner at "Sam's Grill" in the Financial district. I spent much of the evening talking to Hugh Richmond, an Emmanuel graduate who's been teaching English at Berkeley for about forty years. He had much insight to offer on the political movements of the '60s. All in all, it was a very enjoyable English evening -- we talked about English things in the presence of much wine. I even found myself slipping back into my English speech habits ('mobile phone,' etc.). I hadn't had an evening like that in a long time.

No comments: