23 March 2004

More response to Bessie's comments (re: use of "girl"):

In my defense:

a) I did immediately afterwards say it was something I wanted to see alone. So there wasn't any real sexism implied. I wouldn't have wanted to see it with anyone.

b) Furthermore it is a movie I would feel especially uncomfortable seeing with someone who I was possibly interested in, regardless of whether it was a "date" or not (what makes it a date anyway?). And, even though alec's implecation wasn't that he'd made plans for a date, I think it was implied that they were possible romantic interests at some point. (I mean, they're single women so by definition... umm... anyway...)

c) I don't hang out with single straight women that much, but gay males our age seem to use "boy" all the time in reference to someone they've met and are interested in. And in the few instances I can think of girls I know tend to say "I went out with this guy" There's just no female equivalent of "guy" to use. Either girl or woman has its issues. I'd feel really weird about someone saying "I saw a movie with this man the other day" and her meaning me.

No comments: