15 September 2004

In response to the lone haranguer in the comments section who implies that my fondness for certain sex symbols undermines my stated preference for girls who know dead languages, I should point out that Natalie Portman apparently speaks fluent Hebrew and Japanese. It's not ancient Greek, but it's a start. Keira Knightley is dyslexic, so it isn't her fault. As for the Olsen twins, they still have time. (I don't think they've declared a major yet...)

It's true, moreover, that in my search for objects of romantic fantasy, I've been constrained by what society presents. If a young pin-up who was scary smart and versed in the classics were to appear on the scene, I'd be the first to post her picture on my dorm room wall, but I'm still waiting. At best, I'm forced to go dreamy over actresses whose eyes sometimes seem to shine with an intelligent gleam, even if I have no way of verifying this. (Scarlett Johannsen seems smart. Is she? What about Jessica Cutler?)

No comments: