28 September 2004

Two fortuitous misreadings:

1. The Beta Band, "Dry the Rain." Great song, of course. But is the fade-out chorus I will be all right, I will be all right, I will be all right, or I will be your light, I will be your light, I will be your light? According to their official, but unconfirmed, lyrics page, it's actually both. Personally, it seems to depend on my mood. I like the idea of lyrics that oscillate back and forth between two possibilities, depending on whether I'm feeling inward-looking and resigned, or outward-looking and radiant.

2. Doris Lessing, Prisons We Choose to Live Inside. Haven't read this book. Not sure I ever will. But when I saw this title at the Strand Bookstore recently, I misread it as Persons We Choose to Live Inside, and was flabbergasted. I don't think I've ever heard the existential approach to life expressed so well. You live your life in order to become the sort of person you'd actually choose to live inside. Certainly, I'm not quite there yet. But if anyone ever asks me what I hope to get out of life, I'll finally have an answer. Of a sort.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like to post articles on your blog. They are very useful and detailed. Hope you have more health to continue to develop this blog. Please visit my movie blog when you have time. Thank you
365 movies
Eve Lindley biography
Review Insidious 4