11 November 2004

Sorry I've been gone for a while. Thanks to all of you for getting out the rants that need to be ranted about that election we had a little bit ago.

Just about everything that can be said about the election has been said, I think, although someday I'd love to write some grand sociological study about fear, religion, and suburbia, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

One more thing to be upset about: Greg Palast, the man who broke all the gory details of the 2000 Florida debacle, is now running around making totally unsubstantiated claims about fraud in my backyard. I and a number of friends and colleagues have worked very hard to make sure that New Mexico had a clean election. While we've been slow about counting our provisional ballots, we've been clean. The only person who thinks otherwise is Greg Palast. Here's one egregious example of his shoddy journalism: he acts surprised when Chaves County goes 68% Republican, and he doesn't even bother to check and see that they voted by the same proportion 4 years ago. Either his cynicism has eclipsed his inquiring journalistic eye, or he's just a muckraker.

No comments: