08 January 2005

I've begun an inquiry to see which college sports rating system I despise more: the RPI or the BCS. My findings thus far:

The purpose of the BCS is so that the biggest sports conferences and the biggest corporate sponsors profit the most from the football postseason. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone else stands for it. As of this season, the Associated Press is pulling out, but I think the minor conferences should all boycott postseason play, and fans should boycott too. Needless to say, I'm not expecting that anytime soon.

The RPI actually has no inherent corruptive flaws that I can see, but its results are so skewed and arbitrary that I question whether it serves anything at all other than to give a facade of objectivity to the NCAA tournament selection process. My beloved New Mexico Lobos are getting screwed by the RPI, and there's nothing they can do about it.

Maybe the solution is to go back to now caring about sports.

No comments: