04 March 2005

Apparently the British film censor has asked Emir Kusturica, an award-winning Sarajevo-born director, to cut a two-second shot from his latest movie, Life is a Miracle, which shows a cat attacking a dead pigeon. Kusturica refuses to make the cut, and his interview in the Guardian contains the funniest quote I've seen in a long time:
"I am not cutting my film for this jerk. Was he brought up by pigeons or something?...I just don't get it. The pigeon was already dead, we found it in the road. And no other censor has objected. What is the problem with you English? You killed millions of Indians and Africans, and yet you go nuts about the circumstances of the death of a single Serbian pigeon. I am touched you hold the lives of Serbian birds so dear, but you are crazy. I will never understand how your minds work."
Needless to say, the whole article is worth a read.

No comments: