30 April 2005

I presume that some members of this blog community have considered/might consider working at lovely Los Alamos National Laboratories. As this New York Times article explains, all is not well at LANL. Pete Nanos, the director who infamously shut the entire lab down last year after some phantom disks went missing and some poor intern burned her eye with a laser, has been forced out by the collective voice of an army of bloggers (or so the story goes).

I might add at this point that I have yet to talk to a single person who approves of the job that Nanos is doing. Last year's shutdown was utterly demoralizing for everybody.

That said, I am very skeptical that one blog should be interpreted to represent the majority opinion at the lab. My experience with online message boards (Adams Schmooze and newspaper message boards, primarily) is that a small group of people with an axe to grind are the ones who comment over, and over, and over. The blog's creator says that he has had between 200 and 400 different contributors, but even that is less than 5% of the lab's 8000+ member workforce. A quick glance over the blog doesn't convince me that more than 10 people or so are making the vast majority of posts. Given the blog's apparent effectiveness in achieving Nanos's ouster, I wouldn't be shocked if such attack forums became more prevalent.

No comments: