20 April 2005

Peter Sellers was once asked what he would do differently if he could live his life all over again. His response: "I would do everything exactly the same, except I wouldn't see The Magus." Well, if I could live my life all over again, I would do everything exactly the same, more or less, except I wouldn't stick around for the last half of Eros.

The first segment, The Hand, is worth seeing: it's classic Wong Kar-Wai, although very minor. (As an aside, I'm worried that Wong, my favorite living director, has become incapable of doing anything except beautiful, exquisite, and minor work. Which is ironic, because he's a much better craftsman today than he was when he made Chungking Express, a messy, minor film that I sometimes think is the best movie ever made.)

The second segment, by Steven Soderbergh, is significantly less interesting than a film would be of the same two actors (Robert Downey Jr. and Alan Arkin) having lunch.

The final segment, by Michelangelo Antonioni, is a cosmic embarrassment. It may be the shoddiest, most inexplicable piece of filmmaking I've ever seen--and remember, I liked Beyond the Sea.

No comments: