22 June 2005

It's notable, but not at all surprising that Casablanca has five quotes in the top 50 before any film other than The Wizard of Oz has picked up its second. How is that possible? How did they get that screenplay so right?

They don't even have my favorite Casablance quote: "I remember Paris perfectly. The Germans wore grey, you wore blue" or the two quotes I've had occasion to use more than any other quotes "Maybe not today, maybe not tommorow, but soon, and for the rest of your life" and "I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on in here."

(Well, maybe 2nd and 3rd after "I've read books, like The Unberable Lightness of Being and Love in the time of Cholera...")

Rewatching that film recently I was particularly struck at just how rapidly the famous lines come at the end. "We'll always have Paris," "Maybe not today," and "beautiful freindship" are all in about a minute.

No comments: