26 June 2005

I've recently become fascinated by the "half-tuck." Do you guys know what I'm talking about? Apparently the arbiters of fashion got together about a year ago to figure out whether a man's dress or polo short should be tucked in or left untucked. Judging from my back issues of GQ, untucked is clearly the way to go, but unfortunately, an untucked shirt doesn't let you show off your $200 belt. This led to a solution of Talmudic ingenuity: the "half-tuck," wherein the man's dress shirt is tucked in at one side or in the front only. Judging from my research online, I seem to be discovering this phenomenon almost exactly a year too late, but I've begun noticing it at parties, too. My one problem is that I seem incapable of pulling it off: I just get too self-conscious for words. Moreover, I tend to serve as an inverse cultural barometer: once I've noticed a cultural trend, there's a good chance it's already halfway out the door. So maybe untucked (or fully tucked in) is really the way to go. It's all very middle school, isn't it?

No comments: