21 July 2005

A few of you may have seen the Modern Love essay called "The New Nanny Diaries Are Online" in Sunday's New York Times. The author, a New York journalist, writes about covertly reading her 26-year-old nanny's blog and feeling disturbed, conflicted, and titillated by what she finds, until she finally finds it impossible to retain her services:
Yet within two months of my starting to read her entries our entire relationship unraveled. Not only were there things I didn't want to know about the person who was watching my children, it turned out her online revelations brought feelings of mine to the surface I'd just as soon not have to face as well.
Now, I happen to know that the article is unfair, bordering on libelous. Why? Because I know the blogger. (Incidentally, there's a link to Deadly Mantis on the notorious blog in question, which seems to have led to a slight surge in traffic on this blog over the past few days. I'm not going to name the blog itself, but a quick search online search would probably reveal the URL.)

No comments: