24 August 2005

After posting this morning about attributing dangerous accidents to people who drive big cars (instead of, in my view, the ecologically more responsible small cars), I realized that my logic in this regard is opposite my logic with regard to sex ed and, to a lesser extent, abortion.

In the case of sex ed and abortion, my belief is that we can't curb dangerous and morally questionable behavior (at least if it's sex), so we should make sure that those people who do it are safe anyway. On consuming fossil fuels, though, I demand that people should all be held to a rigid moral standard even though they personally might be safer if they refuse.

George Lakoff would probably say that this is all a result of me oozing empathy for teenage girls and penguins, but apparently not for soccer moms.

No comments: