15 September 2005

Given the history of the Supreme Court approval process, Chuck Schumer makes a rather ill-considered analogy when complaining about John Roberts's refusal to give substantive answers:
"It's as if I asked you, 'What kind of movies do you like?' Tell me two or three good movies.' And you say, 'I like movies with good acting. I like movies with good directing. I like movies with good cinematography.' And I ask you, 'No, give me an example of a good movie.' You don't name one. I say, 'Give me an example of a bad movie.' You won't name one. Then I ask you if you like Casablanca, and you respond by saying, 'Lots of people like Casablanca.' You tell me it's widely settled that Casablanca is one of the great movies."
Hey, why don't we just obtain records of Roberts's video rentals? Oh, wait: somebody already tried that with this guy.

In any case, anybody who likes Doctor Zhivago and North by Northwest can't be all bad.

No comments: