07 October 2005

Dave emerges from the depths for a moment to talk about a subject near and dear to his heart: baseball. Call me a fair-weather fan, or maybe I just didn't live there long enough, but I'm not rooting for Boston to win it all this year. You might recall that their recently ended title drought was merely the third-longest in history -- and the other two are still going. So they really ought to give one of those Chicago teams a chance. My order of preference for AL pennant: 1. Chicago, 2. Anybody but the Yankees.

In the other league, it's a toss-up. Houston and San Diego have streaks even longer than Chicago's -- infinity years. Granted, they weren't playing baseball for all those years, but they still make a case that their time is due. St. Louis is a classy outfit and they haven't won it all since 1982, and the Braves deserve more than their one puny title for 14 years of dominance. Personally, I think that even though I now have a personal connection to San Diego, a team that finished above .500 only by winning its last game doesn't deserve to win a pennant. My anti-Texas bias results in my choice of: 1. St. Louis, 2. Atlanta, 3. Houston, 4. San Diego.

White Sox in 6 in the Series.

No comments: