07 October 2005

Does anyone with a bit of a background in campaign finance law/nonprofit organization law know if this website is illegal?

I saw the website advertised on a sidebar of a conservative blog, so it means there's advertising money behind it. I don't know why, but it seems creepy that a nonprofit can set up a website for, advertise, and promote the president's supreme court nominee. I mean, if they were doing political ads for the president they would fall under McCain-Feingold and they'd have to abide by certain limits on content and fundraising (which I can't really enumerate because I don't know them). This might be argued to be policy-based, not political, but I don't know if that's a meaningful distinction.

I do note that the organization calls itself "nonpartisan." Isn't promotion of the administration, by definition, "partisan"?

No comments: