27 April 2006

In more legal news, 18 grandmothers were acquitted on disorderly conduct charges arising from a protest outside a Times Square military recruiting office. The women tried to enlist in order to "give their lives for those of younger soldiers." The article is worth reading; the trial itself sounds like it was hilarious. Here's an example:

Prosecutor: "Did you personally believe that you would be allowed to enlist?"

Grandmother: "I wasn't sure. I do have a skill set...[I] could be used to deploy equipment."

(Prosecutor follows up with question about whether she was prepared to go to war.)

Grandmother: "Yes. I was totally prepared. I had just recently gotten divorced. I was ready."

One really has to wonder who in the District Attorney's office had the brilliant idea to take this case to trial. Couldn't they be focusing on cases that are a tad more important - like criminals who actually hurt people? Or were they trying to make some larger point - that grandmothers should be held accountable like everyone else?

No comments: