06 June 2008

Wailin and I are seeing R.E.M. tonight at the United Center in Chicago, allowing me to cross another entry off my list of Bands to See Before I Die. (Largest remaining omission: the Arcade Fire.) Although I'm excited by the prospect of the concert, and reassured by the fact that Accelerate is a very solid album (Noah, any thoughts?), I'm finding myself even more thrilled by the presence of Modest Mouse, a band to which I've hitherto had little exposure. The reason for my excitement? Their latest album is a fine one, yes, but there's also the matter of the band's latest member, a fellow named Johnny Marr. Marr is arguably the greatest guitarist of my lifetime, and between this concert and the Morrissey show at Radio City Music Hall (four years ago!), I'm that much closer to mentally assembling the Smiths reunion of my dreams. And who knows? Sometimes these dreams come true. Stranger things have happened...

2 comments:

Noah said...

Malia and I saw REM at the Greek Theater last week, and it was a good show. They sound really great (Stipe's voice seems to be holding off age well), and they played some great songs I hadn't heard from them before, most notably an accoustic version of "Let Me In." Their encore set was a little dissapointing in that it featured too much stuff off the new album which although fine in the regular set isn't what you want in an encore.

I'm not actually that excited by the new album, to be fair I haven't listened to it much, and it certainly isn't bad the way "Around the Sun" was, but there weren't any really great songs and a lot of it sounds like retreads of older stuff.

Oddly enough the other band Malia and I have seen at the Greek was The Arcade Fire...

Dawn said...

Man, I haven't seen REM since their Monster tour.