24 April 2002

Hello world, I'm glad to have something marginally more productive to do with my time then play put-put golf .

Alec, I must agree that "Release" is an undeniably cool title, and not simply because it allows for great puns. However, thinking about the title puts me into Encore mode and I want to think of all the other musical things which I associate with release. I'll leave it at one though, my favorite Pearl Jam song was always Release (last track of Ten), the lyric sheet just has the title sort of bleading down the page...

Despite what these first two posts might suggest, we won't be talking about music mostly...

Anyway, here's my link of the afternoon. This is a regular posting by one "Adam Masin" on "The Fray", Slate's discussion board where he criticizes the articles on Slate for a given week. The name is a variant on Slate's regular column "The Best of the Fray." The thing I find most amusing about this is how close in tone it is to the journalism on slate itself. Slate is, as you probably know, a sort of meta-news site which spends most of its time writing columns on other news columns, this "Worst of the Slate" really could be a regular column there, it has the right tone and the right sort of subject matter.

Now, back to writing a paper on "Newton's Laws of Motion and Morrison's Beloved"... No that is not a joke...

No comments: