24 April 2002

Just bought the new Pet Shop Boys album "Release." My verdict: Definitely has the coolest title of any PSB album to date. The CD is well-produced, with a greater emphasis on guitars than before: the result is a kind of Britpop, introspective Oasis-type sound, courtesy of the contributions of former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr. However, despite some stellar tracks (especially "I Get Along" and the witty, sexy, I-hooked-up-with-Eminem track "The Night I Fell in Love"), I'd say this is one of their weaker albums: the lyrics aren't particularly distinguished, and the rock feel, while tastefully done, lacks a lot of the energy and richness of classic PSB efforts. The Pet Shop Boys have made some of the most moving, exciting, intelligent dance albums of the past fifteen years (notably "Introspective," "Behavior" and "Bilingual"), and while I'm looking forward to seeing them at their upcoming concert here in Boston, I'm hoping for a return to classic form for their next album, whenever (and if ever) that happens.

No comments: