14 July 2002

I think I'm cursed...It's now rained on every single outdoor event I've attempted to attend since June 1. You all know about commencement. There was a 45-minute rain delay at the Orioles game I went to in June. And last night we went to an outdoor concert of the BSO (not , not the Boston Symphony, but the Baltimore version), and as soon as the first downbeat was struck, it began to rain. We had one umbrella for the four of us, and I think my right shoulder remained dry. It did stop raining by intermission, but they decided to cut the concert short and play only the last movement of the symphony in the second half, which greatly offended the musical purist (i.e. snob) in me.

Next weekend Robert Levin is coming to play, on the same night that everyone in the program is going to an orioles game...I'd much rather go to the concert, but I don't want to be that kid who didn't want to hang out with the rest of the group...

Incidentally, the conductor last night was a woman, which I think is a first in my concert-attending history. Why should that be?

No comments: