27 July 2003

Here's why it pays to always be honest on your resume: A few days ago, I interviewed a girl for a position at my company. She'd put down "reading competence in ancient Greek" as one of her language skills, so, sadist that I am, I brought along the Greek text of Iliad IX.401-416 for her to translate. (This is the high point of Achilles' famous speech to Odysseus, Ajax, and Phoenix. If you've ever taken one of Gregory Nagy's courses at Harvard, you'll probably know what I'm talking about.) Anyway, she didn't do very well, so I was reminded that it's always best to be honest in these matters.

On a related note, if you've ever visted Angela's blog, you're aware that she's been preparing an elaborate dance theater project to premiere in August. Auditions were today, so I dropped by, despite the fact that the ad specifies "social dance skills" as one of the prerequisites. Masochist that I am, when asked to list my dance skills, I put down "Waltz, on a good day." And, of course, when it was time for me to audition, Angela put on "Greensleeves," and asked me to waltz to it. I'll leave the results to your imagination. Again, a reminder that you shouldn't lie on your resume.

But actually, the real reason I'm mentioning Angela's theater piece is because the second half is entitled "Seasons of Love After the Blog," which I think is just great.

No comments: