11 November 2003

So, um, I'm going to take a moment to write about the animation I like. Looney Tunes: The Golden Collection is now available on DVD. Buy it, rent it, or just visit a friend who has it. (My copy is currently en route.) Yes, it's missing a lot of classics: not just "What's Opera Doc?" and "One Froggy Evening," but even "Rabbit Hood" and "Robin Hood Daffy" ("Ho! Ha-ha! Guard! Turn! Dodge! Parry! Spin! Thrust!") are conspicuously absent. But c'mon: "Rabbit of Seville," "The Scarlet Pumpernickel," and "Duck Amuck" (the greatest cartoon short of all time) alone are worth the price of the four-disc set. I do miss the annual Looney Tunes retrospective at the Brattle in Cambridge...which still ranks as one of the most joyous experiences I've ever had at the movies...but this more than makes up for the loss.

(Update: I've just discovered that both "Rabbit Hood" and "Robin Hood Daffy" are included on Disc Two of the wonderful new edition of The Adventures of Robin Hood. Well, heck. You can never own too many DVDs....)

No comments: