13 December 2003

Still at Alec's...

After a wonderful day at the Met with Tamara and Anna M. (the patron's lounge is ridiculous, maybe i should sell out someday...) and a long dinner Alec and I went to see Big Fish

I liked it, but, more than that it made me realize something:

Growing up I wasn't taught to think of love as a fairy tale of the "happilly ever after" off in the distance sort. I was taught that love was work, but I was taught another sort of fairy tale... That you meet someone and decide to love them (and "to your father there were only ever two women: your mother and everyone else") and that yeah there's a lot of work and effort and sadness but if you put in the love it'll be appreciated and 25 years later she'll still be there. In the past year I've lost a lot of things, many of which needed to be lost, but above all I think I lost that fairy tale. I know that it isn't true anymore... It's just a good story, and life doesn't always turn out that way, and maybe never does. However, it's a damn good story, and when it comes down to it even if it isn't true it's a story worth believing.

No comments: