12 January 2004

I saw Big Fish again today. I'm really glad I saw it for a second time, because even though I really liked it the first time, somehow this time was different...

At some point at home over christmas while we were reading newspaper top ten of the year lists (yes Alec, I got yours to read too) I said I was only comfortable making a top 1 list, because I didn't have a number 2 that I was happy with. I was fine with Return of the King being my third favorite, and there were several comfortable 4-7thish picks, but nothing I was happy with being number 2. (Jesse was confused "doesn't that mean RotK is your second favorite movie of the year?") Anyway after seeing this a second time I think I'm happy with the following top 5 (keeping in mind there are a lot of films I didn't see):

1. Lost in Translation
2. Big Fish
3. Return of the King
4. Pirates of the Caribbean
5. Finding Nemo

Incidentally, 1-4 are the only movies I saw twice this year. Coincidence? Not only do I tend to see a second time only movies that I like, I also think I tend to like movies more on a second viewing. In fact, sappy admission to make, I've cried at a movie twice, a total of about two tears combined, just the smallest little wet spot, it just isn't something I do much. But both of them were on second viewings. The second time through Dead Poet's Society (yes, the cheasy part at the end), and today the second time of Big Fish when you see the mother standing in the river.

No comments: