30 April 2004

Speaking of HBO short movies, I recently caught an interview with Oliver Stone, whose movie about Fidel Castro aired a couple of weeks ago. I was struck by his typical liberal flakiness vis a vis Castro in the interview, and then I found this interview in slate which is even worse. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the movie itself, but from the advance buzz I've seen, it doesn't look like some of Stone's finest work.

Dave Barry sums up Hollywood's treatment of Castro best: "Naomi Campbell visited Cuba and declared, based on her extensive training as a supermodel, that Castro was 'a source of inspiration to the world.' Around the same time, noted human rights authority Jack Nicholson described Castro as 'a genius.'" The frustrating thing about Stone is that, unlike Campbell and Nicholson, he's so aware that he's being manipulated, yet it happens anyway.

No comments: