13 June 2004

Frankly, in response to Haiwen's challenge, it hasn't been a bad fiscal year.

I read War and Peace; managed to avoid falling in love; learned a lot about finance and economics; watched dozens of classic movies via Netflix; plowed through a lot of history, some poetry, and a score of books about Hollywood; researched, outlined, began, and scrapped an ambitious novel; threw a successful Oscar party; put together an index fund portfolio that will see me safely through to retirement; made one ill-advised romantic lunge; had drinks at the Temple of Dendur; went to karaoke twice; audited a class at the NYU school of business; took voice lessons; saw my first novelette published in Analog; made a lifelong friend at work; learned to use a crock pot and make an excellent stir fry; played host to all of my friends at least once; saw Spellbound, Kill Bill, and a full garland of Broadway shows, including Avenue Q; obtained copies of the Codex Seraphinianus and Rising Up and Rising Down, which I fully intend to read someday; discovered the Smiths and the Super Furry Animals; saw Radiohead in concert; wandered a desolate Coney Island on the anniversary of 9/11; made it through another excellent season of 24; became a fan of The Daily Show; saw Harvard beat Yale; spent one last weekend drinking gin and tonics on the dock at Middle Haddam; saw ballet and Casablanca at Lincoln Center; read some Latin and less Greek; saved some money; lost some weight; made time for family; shared in my friends' triumphs, both small and large; and emerged with no regrets that I can recall, although I'm lucky enough to have at least two good friends who are usually glad to remember them for me. Occasionally, I also managed to find time to work at a hedge fund.

I still need to find a new apartment, though.

No comments: