03 August 2004

Between when I flew to the east coast a week ago and when I flew back, jetBlue has added to its extensive DirecTV coverage the option of watching several films. In typical jetBlue fashion, rather than paying a bunch to show crappy recent releases they've chosen to show good classic films. Currently they're showing: Moulin Rouge, The Princess Bride, The Sound of Music, and (only on the redeye) The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I must say that the first act of The Princess Bride (from the beginning to "as.... you.... wish...") simply makes my happier than any act in the rest of the movies. It's just delightful.

It was pointed out to me several times that the music from Moulin Rouge has way better instrumentation in the actual film than it does on the soundtrack. (Not to mention that the soundtrack doesn't have the showstopping Jim Broadbent "Like a Virgin.") My memory for music was simply not good enough to even notice the change in instrumentation after I saw the film the first time, but this time after having listened to the soundtrack for years, it was pretty obvious how much better the music is in the film.

Not only is the instrumentation better, it's often easier to understand the lyrics. I find it remarkable how much music I own that has never really sunk in. There are so many songs I have that I've never really listened to. This time the big revelation was that I'd never caught the lyrics of the first line of this section in "El Tango Roxanne"

"You're free to leave me
Just don't deceive me
and please, believe me when I say 'I love you.'"

I think that may need to go on my list of mottos from songs.

Finally, Moulin Rouge is one of those films that really drives in for me that even in expensive spectacular special effects and busy films really often most of the joy comes from just the simple pleasure of watching movie stars. What makes that film so much fun is just that Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman are just so damn fun to watch. Well that and Nicole Kidman's wardrobe.

No comments: