03 August 2004

Speaking of movies seen on flights, on my flight back from the Netherlands I saw several. (Ugg... I have such a backload of posts I ment to send right when I got back but then I hurt my hands.) Most of them were mediocre to poor (Jersey Girl and Man on Fire), while Hidalgo was downright bad.

However there was one amazing surprise: 50 First Dates is the best romantic comedy I've ever seen not starring John Cussack. It absolutely blew me away. I wasn't expecting much at all, in fact I saw Jersey Girl and Man on Fire both before I saw it. My line every time I passed a poster for it was: "The scary thing about that movie is that it means someone saw Memento and thought 'That would make a really great romantic comedy.'" I guess the really scary thing is that person was right.

Warning, it is a romantic comedy, and if you don't like romantic comedies you won't like this one. It doesn't "transcend the genre" or anything. And it is an Adam Sandler film, if you hate him with a passion then this movie may annoy you.

That being said I really really loved it. It's the best film I've seen this year.

No comments: