09 September 2004

Given the number of policy wonks on this blog, not to mention all the admirers of scary Eurasian girls, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion of Jessica Cutler, whose tell-all D.C. sex blog has become nationally notorious after about two weeks:
As for herself, [Jessica] tries to look on the bright side. "I was only blogging for, what, less than two weeks?" she says. "Some people with blogs are never going to get famous, and they've been doing it for, like, over a year. I feel bad for them."
And we've been doing this for, like, over two years. Clearly we haven't been having enough sex on the Beltway.

Of course, this scandal has been igniting the blogosphere for weeks now, and I'm not sure if love-shy Deadly Mantis has any particular insights here. I'm doubtful if anyone does, really: the Post article strains hard to put Jessica's story into the larger context of contemporary sexual mores, as if we needed some way to justify being titillated by this girl's adventures with handcuffs, threesomes, and sex for money. I've been trying to think of some kind of spin, but the best I can do is irresponsibly speculate that Jessica's background, with a father in the U.S. military and a Korean-born mother, might have made her especially susceptible to being imperialized. But you can probably do better than that.

No comments: